This Online Supplement will only be available for a limited time. We encourage you to save any links for future use. Thank you!
Visit http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/US/BO to make some direct comparisons between the United States and Bolivia.
After reading and discussing, students may want more information on this topic of lustrabotas.
The following links contain articles about child labor and shoe shine boys in Bolivia:
- Child labor in Bolivia
- Blog post and interview with three shoeshine boys about Paco’s age, living in El Alto
- Tourism in El Alto (in Spanish)
- Tourism in El Alto (in English)
- Video of Soledad Chapetón female mayor of El Alto (in Spanish)
- A short video about visiting La Paz (in Spanish)
- Article about the discrimination faced by shoe shine boys in Bolivia
El Alto Video
The following links contain videos of musicians performing traditional Bolivian music.
- Video of a charango de quirquincho (armadillo guitar) being played (in Peru)
- Video of a traditional Bolivian band, with flutes and guitars
- Donato Vargas, a pan flute player, accompanied by photos of Bolivian landmarks and scenery
- A short video of Bolivian women making textiles (in Spanish)
- Short Article about what parents can do about bullying (in Spanish)
- List of traditional foods from Bolivia (in Spanish)
- Short documentary about potatoes and the Incas filmed in Peru (in Spanish)
- An article about why boys should play with dolls (in Spanish)
- A list of parks to enjoy in La Paz
- A longer video of La paz and el mercado de las brujas (in Spanish) this video does show animal fetuses in the market and towards the end there is the use of a derogatory term as well as alcohol consumption. Please view the video before showing it. The majority of the video is appropriate and does a great job of showing different sights in La Paz.
- A video showing breakfasts around the world (in Spanish)
- An article showing breakfasts of Latin America (in Spanish)
- An article about the benefits of crying (in Spanish)
- This link contains a video promoting the launch of the first Bolivian satellite (with music, video clips of famous Bolivian sites, and the words of Tupac Katari).
- An article about the history of the Ekeko throughout Latin America (in Spanish)
- A short biography of Tupac Katari (in Spanish)
- A list of the most iconic shoes of all time (in Spanish)
- An article about the most expensive tennis shoes in the world (in Spanish)
- A video of a tour of Adidas headquarters (in Spanish)
- An article about Alasitas (in English)
- A video of a news report about Alasitas (in Spanish)
- An article of famous love letters throughout history (in Spanish)
- An article discussing if shopping and getting new things makes us happy
- An article discussing why children lie (in Spanish)
- An article discussing the pros and cons of video games for kids (in Spanish)
- A video showing how skateboards are made (in Spanish)
- An article about stress and poverty in Latin America (in Spanish)
- An article about why people bully in Spanish