Esperanza – Teacher’s Guide DOWNLOAD
*Once the download is purchased you will have 7 days to process the download but only 1 attempt. Please have the folder prepared to save the download to before clicking on the link. If downloading to a school network computer, we advise to check with your IT Department before proceeding.
Esperanza – Teacher’s Guide
305 total pages, 10 chapters, Answer keys included
Table of Contents:
In Every Chapter:
- New Vocabulary
- Pre-reading Discussion Questions
- Comprehension Questions
- Build higher order thinking skills with “Blooming Comprehension” questions based on Bloom’s Taxonomy verbs.
Features and Highlights:
- Connect to AP and IB Themes with AP/IB Alley activities.
- Focus on ACTFL’s Can-Do statements with Can-Do Corner activities.
- Keep an Interactive Notebook throughout the novel study as a review of the story.
- Bring in Pinterest activities with Pin Play adaptations.
- Get students moving with Shake it Up brain break activities.
- Dig deeper into the cultural content with Beyond the Text reading
- Un sindicato
- Las casas de Guatemala
- Una norteamericana visita el basurero
- Los mayas y la guerra civil
- La novena
- Entrevista con una inmigrante hondureña
- Rigoberta Menchú
- El norte film study
Esperanza – Reader
Written in first person. Perfect for level 1 students!
This novel is based on the chilling true story of a young family caught in the middle of political corruption and unspeakable violence during Guatemala’s 36-year civil war. Tired of watching city workers endure countless human and civil rights violations, Alberto organizes a union. When he and his co-workers organize a strike, Alberto and his family find themselves on the government’s “extermination” list. The violent situation leaves Alberto separated from his family and forces them all to flee for their lives. Will their will to survive be enough to help them escape and reunite? And if so, will they ever find another place they can call home?
The exceptionally low unique word count and high frequency factor (the number of times core structures are embedded in the text) make this an ideal read for advanced beginning Spanish students. Each page is loaded with cognates (words that are similar in English and Spanish), recycled vocabulary, and illustrations, which makes this read highly comprehensible. Enjoy the story! The more you enjoy it, the more you will acquire Spanish without even realizing it! Happy reading!
Unique Word Count: 200